Monday, February 28, 2011

Oui Oui!! French Onion Soup

When I was a kid, I hated soup.  You couldn't pay me enough to eat even a bite.  My mom would go on and on about how soup was not only good, but good for you...( yeah, that was incentive to a seven year old).   Luckily, I got over it. Now soup is a staple part of my dinner menu nightly.  It's a wonderful accompaniment to almost any meal or a meal in itself.  Chicken soup, vegetable soup, broccoli and cheese...can you say yum?!

My newest passion is french onion soup.  I've only developed a taste for this over the past couple years.  So, when one of the hubby's favorite sport shows, The Matthew Mitchell Show, had the Coach's Kitchen segment featuring this delicious delight, you know I had to give the recipe a try.  I stuck mostly to the recipe, but may have changed a pinch here and there.  Here it goes...

Ingredients:

4 large onions, yellow, sweet, etc.
1/2 stick of unsalted butter
1 1/2 bottle of dark beer
2 quarts of beef broth
salt, pepper, onion powder
1-2 tbs beef powdered beef bullion
1 loaf of french bread
Gruyere' cheese
Oven safe soup dishes or aluminum pans (I used the ones for pot pies)


Directions:

Chop Onion in medium small size chunks.  Melt half a stick of butter in a sauce pot and dump in onion.



Saute onions in butter until caramelized over medium low heat, approximately, 45 minutes, stir constantly.



Once onions are a lovely shade of golden brown, pour in half a bottle of beer.  Stir and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until all the alcohol has evaporated, approximately, 25 minutes. 





Pour in 2 quarts of beef broth, add salt, pepper and onion powder and 2 tbs of powdered beef bullion.  Cook on low for for 20-30 minutes until broth is completely heated.

Ladle some soup into your oven safe dishes or aluminum pans.  Slice a piece off french bread and lay it on top of your soup.  Cut the cheese in thin slices and top off your bread.  Now put under the broiler for about 5 mins til your cheese melted and bubbly.




Nothing left to do now, except enjoy. Bon Appetite!







No comments:

Post a Comment